by Andrea Blumenstein
So you still have no plans for New Years and some cash to spare? Instead of spending New Year’s Eve smoking your last pack of cigarettes or New Year’s Day drinking Pedialyte® and consuming all of the remaining holiday calories from your fridge before “eating healthy” or binging all of the Netflix before taking a serious screen break, how about something a little bit more inspiring?
Life is all about making choices and loads of people look to the New Year for a fresh start. But habits are incredibly difficult to break. This is why an overwhelming percentage (Business Insider estimates 80%) of New Year’s resolutions fail by February.
Self-care is increasingly gaining popularity among heady resolutions, but without really defining it, how can you succeed? Odds are not in your favor. So, if you are looking to prioritize the mind/body, taking yourself out of your routine while also meeting a bunch of other people who feel the same way about another holiday season hangover (No thank you!) might be just the thing.
Head south for one of these awesome New Year’s-themed holidays.
Hola 2019 – A New Year’s Retreat at Apoyo Lodge – NICARAGUA
Saturday December 29, 2 PM – Wednesday Jan 2, 11 AM
Investment: Starting at $240 USD per person
(Image courtesy of Apoyo Lodge)
Spend 4 nights unplugged from the outside world and connecting with your inner self at Apoyo Lodge, Health & Wellness Boutique Hotel. Start the morning with an inspiring yoga practice and then, with the support of a professional team, choose to read, relax, hike or swim in the clean waters of the volcano crater.
- 4-night accommodation in the room type of your choice
- Three plant-based meals per day including a natural drink with every meal and dessert at lunch and dinner
- Daily morning yoga class
- Unlimited water, herbal tea and bananas
- Round-trip airport shuttle service
- Unlimited WiFi (if you choose to use it)
Exhale Yoga: New Years Yoga Retreat – El Salvador
Friday, December 28 – Saturday, Jan 5
Investment: Starting at $1,999 USD per person
(Image courtesy of Facebook)
If you like to move your body, this is for you. Lead by Yoga Teacher & Yoga to Life Coach Rachel Wainwright at Las Flores Resort, this retreat is focused rhythm, dance, yoga and surf that will foster a deeper connection to self and other like-minded individuals. The retreat schedule offers two daily yoga classes, healthy eating and a host of other activities plus welcomes in the New Year by coming together to dance open heartily with a group of positive people so that you will go home feeling lighter in love with yourself, others and life.
- 8-night, 7-day accommodation of your choice.
- Twice daily yoga classes
- Three daily meals
- Surfing (board rental and lessons are extra)
- Salsa dancing
New Year’s Rejuvenation Retreat with Doron Hanoch – Guatemala
Saturday, December 26 – Wednesday, Jan 2
Investment: Starting at $847 USD per person
(Image courtesy of Doron Yoga and Zen Center)
Immerse in a spiritual community and ring in the New Year from a place of balance, joy and gratitude at the Doron Yoga and Zen Center at Lake Atitlan. This is an ashtanga-vinyasa retreat, mixed with bhakti and kundalini, for all levels. This week-long retreat will focus on bringing your mind and body back to alignment to start the New Year. Prepare to laugh, eat, dance, practice powerful yoga, focus your mind like a Jedi, and learn to love yourself and others like never before.
- Detailed workshops
- Morning yoga sessions
- Osho Kundalini and zen meditation
- Pranayama practices to enrich your energy and life force
- Yin yoga to deepen flexibility and balance the body
- 3 daily meals with drinks
- 7 nights accommodation
Exotic Yoga New Year Retreat at Xinalani – Mexico
Sunday, December 30 – Saturday, January 5
Investment: Starting at $1,995 USD per person
(Photo courtesy of Exotic Yoga Retreats)
Begin your year in vibrant health, rejuvenation, yoga and fitness at Xinalani, an award-winning eco-resort near Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. The retreat features gentle flow yoga with Nina Butler and fitness with personal trainer Lisa Nielsen on a private beach. Take in the sun and sea amidst a gathering of multicultural, like-minded yogis focused on relaxation, gratitude and inspiration.
- 6-night, 7-day accommodation
- Airport pick-up in Puerto Vallarta and boat transfer to Xinalani
- Three meals daily: delicious vegetarian and pescatarian dishes with option of meat on request
- Exotic Yoga Retreats’ New Year Program to set your intention for 2019!
- Two yoga classes daily with yoga teacher Nina Butler
- Two health and fitness classes daily with personal trainer and coach Lisa Nielsen
- ‘Guac Walk’ through the jungle to a neighboring beach for swimming and fresh chips with guacamole!
- Evening activities: Latin dance lesson and beach bonfire
- Ocean kayaking